Above three pictures courtesy of Rick Fisher
All that's left are the menu poles...
Another of Charlotte's legendary restaurants has closed. The Town & Country Drive-In closed this month. Opened in 1955 on Wilkinson Blvd, the Town & Country was one of the few remaining drive-ins left in Charlotte. Located a block away from the Bar-B-Q King Drive-In and the area's oldest Dairy Queen, the Town & Country was a popular destination for everything from its famous "Cowboy Sandwich" (double-burger all the way) to its hickory-smoked barbecue. Warm nights would always find the parking lot packed. It originally opened in 1952 at the site of the former Athen's restaurant and moved to WIlkinson Blvd in 1955. Legendary Charlotte restauranteur Pete Politis was the founder of the Town & Country.
With the count of area drive-ins down to only two (South 21 on Independence and the Bar-B-Q King on Wilkinson), the Town & Country will be greatly missed.