The grand staircase at the City Club
Above pictures show the different dining rooms of the City Club
The view from above
Map showing the current City Club location
Menu from May 1966 (including lunch and dinner specials for two days)--note the many dishes that were standard in the '60's--many not seen today
Tower Club entry area
The Tower Club's view from above
The Charlotte City Club officially opened on January 10, 1947. After two years of planning led by Herbert H. Baxter, the City Club opened on two floors above the Union National Bank (on the corner of 4th and Tryon). The goal of the City Club was to provide members of the business community a private place to meet and discuss business over meals in a quiet, attractive atmosphere.
On June 6, 1962, the City Club moved to the second and third floors of the (then) new Mutual Savings and Loan Association Building. The Club would remain at this location until November 29, 1990, when the Club moved to their current location atop the Interstate Tower on the corner of Trade and Tryon.
From the beginning, the City Club has always been regarded as Charlotte's premier private fine-dining venue. With a membership that has always featured Charlotte's prominent business leaders, the popularity of the City Club will continue for years to come.
For over two decades, the Tower Club served as an alternate option to the City Club in downtown Charlotte. It was similar in design to the City Club-- a private, membership-only fine dining club. At its peak, the Tower Club had three different locations downtown-- the main fine-dining location on the 27th floor of the Charlotte Plaza building, an athletic club and grill located on the mezzanine level of the Bank of America Plaza building (across from the lobby of the Omni Hotel), and a third location on the 38th floor of the Three First Union building. The Tower Club continued operations until finally closing its main location in 2003 followed by the closing of the health club and grill at the end of 2004. The Tower Club opened when (other than the City Club) fine dining options in downtown Charlotte were greatly limited. As downtown Charlotte evolved in the late-90's and more dining options became available, the owners of the Tower Club found it was no longer financially viable to stay open. At its peak, the Tower Club boasted over 1400 members.