Sunday, February 24, 2008

S & W Cafeteria **HALL OF FAME EATERY**

1913 photo of Frank Sherrill at his pre-S&W lunch counter restaurant in downtown Charlotte

1930's interior shot of the Trade St location

The building (since demolished) at 100 W Trade St that housed the S & W for almost fifty years

Above photos showing the S & W in downtown Asheville (opened in 1929) during the height of its operation (courtesy of an anonymous contributor)

Former S & W building in downtown Asheville as it looks today

March 1970 ad

November 1972 ad

1972 ad

Mid-'70's adJune 1975 ad

July 1976 ad

Mid-60's picture of the Charlottetown Mall location

1972 picture of the Charlottetown Mall location

1982 photo of the Park Rd location

1983 photo showing the renovation the then-closed Park Rd location

Original recipe for the famous S&W Custard Pie (courtesy of Heath Brown)

Recent picture of the former Park Rd location

It is said that Charlotte's modern restaurant history began with the opening of the first S & W Cafeteria on July 14, 1920 on W Trade St by Charlotteans Frank Odell Sherrill and Fred Weber. This would be followed by other locations at Park Rd Shopping Center (in 1958), at Charlottetown Mall (in 1959), and a fourth location at Freedom Village Mall in the 1960's. There were also many other locations throughout the Southeast.

The downtown location would operate until 1970 (the building that housed the cafeteria would be torn down in the mid-'80's), The Freedom Village and Charlottetown Mall locations would run through the '70's and the Park Rd Shopping Center location would close in January 1983. The building of the Park Rd location would operate as a Casa Gallardo for several years and most recently, has been home to several failed bar restaurants.

REVISIONS-- 8-2-2008

1976 photo of the Woodlawn Rd location


1969 ad for the "Alpine" Chateau

Another 1969 ad for the "Alpine" Chateau

1972 ad

Mid-70's ad noting pianist Gabriel Kucko

1981 ad

Another 1981 ad

1972 interior photo

1976 interior photo

1977 interior shot

1981 interior photo

1984 interior photo

1994 photo of manager Dee Atkins days before the closing

Front, back, and inside of original matchbook (courtesy of Robert McEwen)

Lunch menu from 1978

Dinner menu from 1978

Super 1960's photo when the building was a Shoney's

Currently inhabited by Frankie's Italian Restaurant

The Chateau is considered to be one of Charlotte's greatest upscale, elegant restaurants. It was known for its New Orleans atmosphere and French haute cuisine. 

The Chateau began in the late-60's on Morehead St near the intersection of Kings Dr. At the time it was called the Alpine Chateau and was more of a casual restaurant. In 1970, the restaurant was purchased by Forrest Collier who immediately began the transformation of turning the Chateau into a high-class restaurant.  Dinner was marked by tuxedoed waiters (waitresses were used for the more casual lunch service), fresh-cut flowers on every table, gold tablecloths, low lighting (mostly provided by candles), and the popular Gabriel Kucko on piano. 

In 1981, the restaurant was moved west up Morehead St to the former location of the famous Shoney's drive-in (near the intersection of Dilworth Rd). The Chateau continued its run through the early '90's. Its last day was Saturday January 15, 1994. The building currently is home to Frankie's Italian restaurant. 

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lupie's Cafe

Late-80's photo before the front porch was glassed-in (courtesy of Byron Baldwin)

Photo showing the closed-in porch with current side door entrance

Photo of the neon-sign on front of building

Serving up the food in this 1991 photo

This sign greets you as you wait to be seated

Burgers are highly recommended

As well as the wonderful veggie plate...

Banana pudding to end a perfect meal!

Lupie's Cafe opened in 1987 on Monroe Rd in a small white building on the edge of the Plaza-Midwood neighborhood. 

The building was built by Arthur Samuel Grier (the Grier Heights neighborhood is next-door) in 1938 and was operated as the Martin Grocery until the late-1960's. The building continued to run as various grocery stores and the back of the building was occupied by a Texaco gas station (later by a body shop) at the same time.

Lupie's Cafe has earned a devoted following due to their fresh veggies, their three types of home-made chilis, and their gigantic burgers. The cornbread and banana pudding are spectacular as well. Lupie's is classic Americana home-cooking at its best (even the beverages are served in mason jars). One critic wrote that "Lupie's has an unvarnished charm that is increasingly rare in a world of corporate restaurants with carefully plotted themes. Its (Lupie's) theme is square meals for honest dollars". That sums up Lupie's perfectly.