The Barringer Hotel was located on the southeast corner of North Tryon and Eighth Streets. It was the last to be built of the original Charlotte downtown fine hotels. Lawrence and Flora Barringer opened the hotel on December 14, 1940 and named it in honor of Lawrence's father, William R. Barringer. Its elegant dining room was a popular dining spot for lodgers and residents alike. It would fall on hard times in the 1970's, changing hands frequently with its incarnation as the Cavalier Inn through the mid-'70's being the longest. The building still stands today. No longer a hotel, it currently houses homeless women in need.