Alex's Brown Derby Restaurant opened at 1404 W. Morehead St in 1947. In the era of meat-and-three home cooking restaurants, the Brown Derby was one of the best. Everyone from downtown workers to Charlotte leaders regularly visited the Brown Derby for breakfast and lunch. Due to its proximity to Panthers Stadium, it became popular with Panthers team president Jon Richardson as well as many of the Panther players. The restaurant was owned and operated by Elizabeth and Alex Fortos since 1982.
The restaurant closed on June 15, 2007. After 25 years, the Fortos had decided they wanted to retire and spend more time with their family. With its closing, it joined several other famous mom and pop eateries that closed within the same year (Athen's, Anderson's, Coffee Cup, South 21). It will be missed.