Shoney's #1 on Morehead St (1959 - 1979)
1962 saw the opening of a second location
By 1965, there were three locations
Close-up of the previous ad---not only are they perched on the sign, but how cool are those masks they are holding?
One of the hottest places to go in the '60's in Charlotte was the Shoney's Drive-In. The first one opened in 1959 on Morehead St in a building previously housed by the Borden Ice Cream Co. The second location (Shoney's #2) opened in 1962 on The Plaza and the third location opened on Independence Blvd just east of the Charlotte Coliseum in 1965. Many other locations would be added in the '70's, but the three original locations were widely considered the best and most symbolic for the era.
Marketing these locations involved an ad campaign that used area Charlotte students photographed at the three different locations from 1961-1968. Not only are the ads very interesting, but they give a great glimpse into the decor and ambiance of the restaurants.