Both shots above from the W. Trade St. location - 1960
Independence Blvd location - 1968
Above 3 shots all from the mid-70's (all courtesy of Ronnie Yee)
The Oriental Restaurant opened at 126 W. Trade St in 1923. It would prove to be one of Charlotte's most famous and popular Chinese restaurants. It would also be one of Charlotte's longest running eateries -- staying in business for a span of seven decades. The Oriental was noted for its private booths, almond cookies, and a walking bridge over the indoor Koi pond. In 1967, the restaurant moved to E Independence Blvd (at Morningside Dr) after a fire destroyed the original location. It would flourish through the '80's before closing for good.