Above pictures all courtesy of Rick Fisher
John's opens every morning before dawn
Livermush cooked correctly--crispy on the outside, creamy soft on the inside
John's signature dish-- brains & eggs
John's famous grilled biscuits
John's Country Kitchen opened in 1977 on the corner of Central and Thomas Avenues in the Plaza-Midwood neighborhood. John and Margaret Margiotis opened the restaurant in an abandoned storefront at the end of a small strip center (the strip center's main claim to fame was the home of the first Harris-Teeter grocery store in the 1940's--called just Harris then). With several prominent eateries located within a block (Penguin, Diamond, Ho Toy, Dairy Queen), the location would prove to be a successful choice.
John's is popular for its hearty, made to order breakfasts and lunches. Portions are large and the prices reasonable. John's home cooking has developed a loyal clientele over the years. The interior of the restaurant has changed very little since its opening. It sports the original tables, booths, and counter stools and the walls are covered with photos, posters, and news clippings from Charlotte's yesteryear.
John Margiotis passed away in 1989. His son Chris took over and continues to run the restaurant today exactly as his dad had planned.