1952 ad (courtesy of Charlie Richardson)
Late-'70's photo of Salem and Lillian Suber
Town House regular/fixture Hugh McManaway directing traffic outside of the Town House in 1976 (a statue in his honor was erected at the intersection of Queens and Providence Rds.)
1988 interior shot with Jack Fulk
Fall 1991 menu
Spring 1992 menu
Summer 1993 lunch menu
Summer 1993 dinner menu
Early photo of the Town House
Late-'90's photo (under new ownership)
As it looks today (photo courtesy of David at Groceteria)
The Town House Restaurant opened in the heart of Myers Park in 1938. Originally a drive-in restaurant, it was instantly popular ("Talk of the Town" became the restaurant's nickname). During the restaurant's heyday from 1955 through 1980, it was owned and operated by Salem Suber and featured family-style home cooked food. Breakfast at the Town House was a tradition among the Charlotte business world. From 1980 until 1988 it was owned by Ike McLaughlin who, except for some minor renovations, changed little about the place. During its peak, the 150 seat eatery averaged 550 customers a day, seven days a week. In 1984 the restaurant was bestowed a plaque honoring the establishment with being "Charlotte's oldest restaurant serving the city from the same location seven days a week".
In 1988 the restaurant was bought by Jack Fulk (his father had founded Bojangle's). The restaurant was overhauled to include a bar and began life as a white-tablecloth, upscale place to dine. The Town House would continue through the 1990's earning rave-reviews for its five-star cuisine. When it closed, the space would be absorbed into the neighboring Harris-Teeter supermarket.
Though it would spend the last part of its life as a high-profile, upper class restaurant, most native Charlotteans will always remember the Town House as a simple place for great hamburgers and hot dogs.