The "Original" Greystone--
The "New" Greystone--
The Greystone Restaurant has been on South Blvd in the Sedgefield neighborhood since 1947. It has weathered everything from changing area demographics to a complete building relocation over its 60-plus year history.
The Greystone began in 1947 as a small drugstore on the corner of South Blvd and Greystone Rd. Like most area drugstores, the Greystone also sold food such as hamburgers, hot dogs, and chili beans. Eventually in the early-50's, the Greystone switched from a drugstore with a lunch counter into a full-service restaurant. In 1971, the original owner sold the business to his son-in-law Andy Koutsokalis who has been at the helm ever since.
The Greystone would close in the Summer of 2000. The original corner-side building was torn down and, in the Fall of 2001, the Greystone reopened 200 yards away as the anchor of a small strip center at the back of the original parking lot. The interior of the new building mirrors the old one--booths encircle the room's perimeter and four-seat tables fill the rest.
The Greystone has always been popular for their home-cooking. From the breakfast with the great country ham (billed as "a Nice Piece of Country Ham" on the menu) to lunch and dinner which feature the classic "meat-and-threes" dishes (main course with soup and two vegetables), the Greystone has a very loyal following.
Though South Blvd is in a constant state of change and revitalization (of which the Greystone embraced with their new building), everything inside this eatery has stayed almost the same over the last 60 years.