The New York Cafe was located in the heart of downtown Charlotte for over 50 years. It opened in 1906 and ran through the mid-1960's. Originally located at 127 West Trade St, it moved to 319 East Trade St at some point during the '50's. They appear to have offered everything one could want (Kraut juice anyone?). The above menu is from the 1940's.
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Playing card storage box cover
Playing cards with storage box
The Ming Tree Restaurant was located on Providence Rd in Myers Park (the Mecklenburg Furniture building currently sits on this site). It opened in the early-1950's and ran through the mid-1960's. The Ming Tree was popular for its take-out service (even though you were required to climb a steep set of outdoor stairs to the take-out window) and for their signature over-sized almond dessert cookies. The Ming Tree raised the bar on all subsequent Chinese restaurants with its fancy location and decor. The Ming Tree closed after a massive fire destroyed the building. Arson was the cause and the owner was suspect because of large gambling debts.